- 1 whole bulb garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves
- 1 onion, peeled and left whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 300ml milk (dairy or soya)
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 15g butter or vegan margarine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 tbsp cream (optional and omit for vegans)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Break the garlic into cloves leaving the skin on. Place in a small ovenproof dish, drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until tender when pierced with a knife. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Stick the cloves into the onion and place in a saucepan with the bayleaf, peppercorns and milk (dairy or soya*). Bring to the boil, then take the pan off the heat and add the breadcrumbs. Stir in the butter or margarine* and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze the garlic out of their skins and mash until you have a creamy textured purée.
- Remove the peppercorns, onion and bayleaf from the sauce, and stir in the creamed garlic. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir in the cream (omit for vegans*). Re-heat gently to serve.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?