- 2 free-range eggs
- 75g light brown sugar
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 150g self-raising flour, sieved
- 175g carrots, grated
- 75g sultanas
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 30g icing sugar (for a light icing)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 drops orange food colouring
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5. Grease and line a 450g loaf tin.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl then blend in the oil. Gradually add the flour, stirring continually with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the carrots, sultanas, ginger and nutmeg, mixing everything together until it is evenly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the loaf tin, ensuring that it is evenly spread out. Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Mix the icing ingredients together. When cake has cooled, top with icing, slice and serve.
As a charity, we can’t continue the work we do without you. Our recipe catalogue offers thousands of tasty, nutritious meals; helping new veggies find their feet and giving inspiration to those stuck in a culinary rut. Commissioning high quality, on-trend recipes is costly, however we’re committed to keeping this service free and available to everyone. Will you donate £3/month to ensure this happens?