- 1 baguette, cut into 6mm/⁄¼" slices
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled but left whole
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and drained
- 6 black olives, stoned and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp orange flavoured olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 red pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded and cut into strips
- A few fresh chives
- Brush both sides of the baguette slices with olive oil and grill lightly on both sides until golden brown. Alternatively, place on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC/gas mark 6 for about 10-15 minutes.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and mix together with the olives, thyme, orange flavoured olive oil and vinegar and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Rub the peeled garlic onto the top side of each slice of toasted bread.
- Arrange the tomato mixture on the top and decorate with criss-crossed strips of roasted red pepper and chives. Note If you are unable to buy orange flavoured olive oil add a teaspoon of very finely chopped orange zest to the mixture.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?