- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50ml vegetarian port or red wine
- 25g mixture of pumpkin and sunflower seeds, toasted
- 50g walnuts, broken
- A handful of fresh parsley, rosemary and thyme, chopped
- Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 packet filo pastry (you will need to use 2 sheets for this recipe)
- 50g butter or vegan margarine, melted
- 200g vegetarian Wensleydale cheese with cranberries or 180g soya cheese with 20g cranberries*
Watch the recipe being made here:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4.
- Gently fry the onion until it softens, then add the mushrooms and pepper. Continue to fry for another 5 minutes. Finish with the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the port and cook until evaporated.
- Mix in the seeds, walnuts and herbs, then season to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover with kitchen roll and allow to cool down.
- Fold out one filo pastry sheet onto a work surface and keep the rest under a damp tea towel to avoid drying out. Brush with butter and layer with another sheet.
- Put the cool filling onto the pastry, so it covers the middle third of the pastry, leaving a 6cm gap at the top and bottom. Crumble the cheese over the filling.
- Fold the top over the filling, followed by the bottom and sides. This should leave you with a nicely packed parcel shape. (Don’t over fill if you have too much filling.)
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, until cooked.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?