For the sandwich filling
- 120g red cabbage, very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 60g dill pickled gherkins, thinly sliced
- 200g ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 8 slices Applewood smoked vegan cheese
- 320g pressed tofu, sliced 1cm thick slices
- 8 slices sourdough rye bread
- 25g vegan margarine
- To make the red cabbage filling: Combine the red cabbage, curry powder, 2 tsp olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Brush tofu with remaining olive oil and grill under high heat for 5 mins per side until golden brown.
- Toast bread in a toaster and wrap in warm tea-towel.
- To assemble the sandwiches: Place 4 slices of toasted bread, spread with margarine, on the grill pan. Divide the tofu between the four pieces and spread out evenly. Repeat with the avocado, pickled gherkin and red cabbage mixture.
- Top each with 2 slices of vegan cheese and place under a medium grill until melted. Remove from the grill and top with the remaining toasted bread.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?