For the mushroom & tomato boats
- 1½ tbsp butter or *vegetable oil
- 325g small chestnut mushrooms (halved or quartered if necessary)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, well crushed
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp mild paprika
- 1 tbsp flat leaved parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese, finely grated (*omit for vegan)
- 2 tsp dill, finely chopped
- 4 pitta breads
For the tofu scramble
- 285g firm tofu
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 spring onions, sliced, including the green part
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ small red pepper, diced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1-2 tbsp, soy sauce or tamari
- Cayenne or black pepper accoridng to taste
- For the mushroom & tomato boats: Heat the butter or oil in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the mushrooms and the spices and stir together. Cover and cook on a low heat for 6-7 minutes shaking the pan occasionally.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes and paprika and cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes until the tomatoes start to split. Mix in the parsley.
- Combine the olive oil, dill and cheese in a small bowl. Grill the pitta slices, split open and brush the inside with the oil mixture and grill until slightly crispy.
- Pile a quarter of the mushroom and tomato mixture on top of each pitta and serve immediately.
- For the tofu scramble: Drain and crumble to tofu.
- gently heat the oil then saute the sping onions, garlic and red pepper for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the crumbled tofu and turmeric and stir well until heated through.
- Add soy sauce and pepper to taste.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?