- 200g Basmati rice
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 30g flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g asparagus, cut into 3-4 cm pieces
- 280g jar artichokes in oil
- 20g capers
- 50g gherkins, finely chopped
- 50g black olives, pitted
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Put the rice in a large pan of water with the turmeric and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes then drain thoroughly.
- Toast the almonds by gently cooking in a dry pan for 2-3 minutes – set the almonds to one side.
- While the rice is cooking in a separate large frying pan heat the oil and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and asparagus and continue to cook for five more minutes.
- Take the artichokes, drain the oil from them and slice in half.
- Add the artichokes, capers, gherkins, olives, mushrooms and tomato purée and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked and drained add to the frying pan. Stir in the tomatoes, sundried tomato paste and half the tarragon.
- Serve straight away garnished with the remaining tarragon, toasted flaked almonds and lemon wedges.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?