For the base
- 60g vegan spread or coconut oil, melted
- 150g gluten and dairy-free digestive biscuits
For the cheesecake filling
- 3 tsp agar agar
- 360ml pomegranate juice
- 300ml soya or oat cream
- 180g golden caster sugar
- 360g dairy-free cream cheese
- 360g dairy-free Greek-style cheese
- A few drops vegan red food colouring or beetroot juice, optional for a darker colour
For the pomegranate jelly topping
- 240ml pomegranate juice
- 1 tsp agar agar
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 1 tbsp pomegranate syrup
- 1 tsp mint leaves, chopped
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Line a high-sided 23cm springform cake tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- For the base: Grind the biscuits into fine crumbs in a food processor or crush with a rolling pin. Transfer to a bowl and mix with the melted spread or oil. Press into the base of the cake tin and transfer to the fridge.
- For the cheesecake filling: Add the agar agar and pomegranate juice to a large pan and bring to the boil over a high heat, whisking continuously. Continue to boil for 20 seconds, whisking all the time.
- Add the cream to the pan and bring back to the boil. Turn down to a medium heat and simmer gently, reducing the mixture to half the initial quantity, while stirring constantly.
- In a bowl or food mixer, beat the sugar, cream cheese and Greek-style cheese until creamy.
- Gradually add the pomegranate cream and the food colouring (if using), mixing until everything is fully combined and the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- To make the pomegranate jelly: Dissolve the agar agar in the pomegranate juice in a pan. Bring to the boil and boil for 20 seconds, whilst stirring. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To assemble the cheesecake: Spread the cheesecake filling over the biscuit base. Push to the sides of the tin and level with a spoon, leaving enough room on top for the jelly layer.
- Scatter the pomegranate seeds over the cheesecake layer then cover with the warm pomegranate jelly. Transfer to the fridge or freezer to set.
Once the cheesecake has chilled and set, remove from the tin and cut into slices. Decorate with pomegranate seeds, pomegranate syrup and mint leaves.
Optional: You can also decorate the plate with a brushstroke - this can be soya cream, vegan white chocolate, etc.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?