- 4 slices seeded sliced bread
- A little olive oil or melted butter
- 12 pitted black olives
- 6 strands saffron
- 4 cardamoms seeds, removed from pods and crushed
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella, grated
- 15g pine nuts
- 4 mint leaves, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Grease 4 x deep muffin tins (or Yorkshire pudding tins)pudding tins
- To make the croustade cups: Lightly roll out the four slices of bread. Cut out circles to fit tins. Brush each side with a little olive oil or melted butter and line muffin tin with bread circles.
- Bake in oven and bake for about 15 minutes until crisp. Remove from tins and allow to cool.
- To make the filling: Mix saffron strands with ½ teaspoon boiling water to release colour and leave to stand for 10 minutes
- Combine saffron (and water) with grated mozzarella and cardamoms. Mix well.
- Place 4 olives in bottom of each croustade and cover with saffron mozzarella mix. Top with a few pine nuts.
- Place croustades back into muffin tins and return to oven for 10 minutes. Serve hot or cold
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?