Suitable for Freezing
For the Spanish-STyle stew
- 100g green beans, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 mixed peppers, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can cannelini beans
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 360g long grain rice
- 5g flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add the green beans and blanch for 30 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool down. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide saucepan and fry off the onions, peppers and garlic until soft.
- Add the spices and tomato puree and briefly fry for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, cannellini beans and stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the green beans and cook for a further few minutes to warm through.
- While the stew is cooking, make the rice as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Serve the stew with the rice and garnish with the flat-leaf parsley.
If you are freezing this recipe, do so at step 4 without the rice.
Would you like to see your favourite recipe in our collection? Go over to our recipe challenge page and have a go yourself.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?