For the buns
- 350g strong plain flour
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 sachet easy-blend yeast
- 25g caster sugar
- 75g raisins
- 25g mixed peel
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- 75g vegan margarine
- 175ml soya milk
For the crosses
- 50g plain flour
- 25g vegan margine
for the Water Glaze
- 25g sugar
- 30ml water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, spices, yeast, sugar, currants, mixed peel and lemon rind. Make a well in the centre and add the melted margarine and some of the warmed milk. Mix until a soft dough is formed, adding more milk if necessary.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size. This will take 1-2 hours, so in the meantime start making the crosses.
- To make the crosses: Rub the margarine into the flour and add enough water to bind. Roll out the pastry quite thinly then cut into thin strips. Set aside.
- To continue with the buns: Once the dough has doubled in size, knock it down and knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and put on a greased baking tray. Leave to rise again for about 30 mins.
- To make the glaze heat the water and sugar in a pan until the sugar dissolves. Leave to cool. Glaze each bun and top with pastry crosses.
- Bake the buns in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?