Suitable for Freezing
- 225g dates
- 60g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, sieved
- 100g vegan margarine
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 75g pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4.
- Place the dates in the medium saucepan with just enough water to cover them. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Once the dates have cooked, drain off the hot water, and run them under a cold tap to cool.
- Purée the dates. (A hand blender works well for puréeing).
- In the small mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder, then set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using a fork, cream together the dates and the margarine until light and fluffy.
- Add the banana, nuts (optional) and vanilla essence.
- Lightly oil the baking dish, then evenly spread the mixture into it, smoothing the top with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the brownies start to come away from the sides of the dish.
- Allow to cool in the pan, cut and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?