For the BLT
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g mushrooms, chopped
- 400g baked beans
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 40g vegetarian cheese (or vegan ‘cheese’*), grated
- 1 free range egg (omit for vegan option*)
- 20g sundried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp vegetable stock powder
- 90g breadcrumbs
- 25g pine nuts
- 2 tsp wholemeal flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 free range egg, beaten
- 50g wholemeal flour seasoned with black pepper and paprika
- 200g tomatoes, chopped
- 25g red onion, finely chopped
- 40g sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Black pepper and a little salt
- A few salad leaves
- 4 bread rolls
- 60g vegetarian cheese (or vegan ‘cheese’*) cut into four slices
- Gently fry the onion in oil for five minutes until soft, then add the mushrooms. Continue to cook until most of the moisture from the mushrooms has evaporated. While this is cooking divide the tin of beans into two. Set half the can of beans aside and drain off the sauce on the remaining half.
- Place the cooked onion, mushroom and drained baked beans in a food processor with the paprika, garlic, thyme, cheese, free range egg (*omit if vegan), sundried tomatoes, vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, stock, breadcrumbs, pine nuts and wholemeal flour. Season with salt and pepper and whizz for 10 seconds. Allow the mixture to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into eight small sausages. Dip in the remaining egg (*omit if vegan), then roll in wholemeal flour.
- Gently fry in olive oil for ten minutes, carefully turning from time to time.
- To make the relish mix the tomatoes, red onion, sundried tomatoes, lime juice, black pepper and a little salt in a bowl, then set aside.
- For each serving, place salad leaves onto a bread roll, top with two sausages and relish. Finally, add a slice of vegetarian cheese (or vegan ‘cheese’*) to the frying pan and heat for 30 seconds. Top your sandwich with the cooked cheese. Heat the remaining beans and serve alongside your sandwich.
Nutrition per serving
As a charity, we can’t continue the work we do without you. Our recipe catalogue offers thousands of tasty, nutritious meals; helping new veggies find their feet and giving inspiration to those stuck in a culinary rut. Commissioning high quality, on-trend recipes is costly, however we’re committed to keeping this service free and available to everyone. Will you donate £3/month to ensure this happens?