- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 175g mixed vegetables, diced
- 225g red kidney beans
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 275g chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 50g bulgar wheat
- 1 tbsp fresh basil or parsley
- 1 tbsp shoyu or soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil and gently fry the onion and vegetables until softened.
- Add beans, garlic and spices and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato purée, stock and bulgar wheat.
- Simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes until the liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the shoyu or soy sauce and basil.
- Check seasoning and serve.
As a charity, we can’t continue the work we do without you. Our recipe catalogue offers thousands of tasty, nutritious meals; helping new veggies find their feet and giving inspiration to those stuck in a culinary rut. Commissioning high quality, on-trend recipes is costly, however we’re committed to keeping this service free and available to everyone. Will you donate £3/month to ensure this happens?