For the Syrup and Confit Lemons
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 lemons, 1 zested and juiced, the other one sliced
For the Sponge
- 340g plain white flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 200g caster sugar
- 90g brown sugar
- 150ml water
- 150ml soya milk
- 180ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest only
For the Blueberry Compote
- 150g fresh blueberries
- 40g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
For the Cream Layers
- 270ml Elmlea plant double cream alternative
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 40g icing sugar
- 100g vegan mini Easter eggs
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas mark 3.
- Line 2 x 20cm springform cake tins with baking parchment.
- To make the syrup and confit lemons: In a small saucepan, add the sugar, water, lemon zest and juice.
- Bring the saucepan to a simmer. Once the sugar is dissolved, add the lemon slices. Turn to the lowest heat possible and allow the lemon slices to slowly cook in the syrup, until they start to become translucent. Set aside.
- To make the sponge: In a large bowl, mix together all the dry sponge ingredients.
- In a separate bowl or jug, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Mix the wet into the dry ingredients. Do not over work, some small lumps are ok.
- Split the mixture between the two cake tins and cook for 30 minutes. Push a skewer into the cakes to check that they are cooked. If the skewer comes out clean, then it is ready. If not, back for a further 5 minutes and check again.
- Once baked, allow the cakes to sit in their tins for 5 minutes before turning them out on to a cooling rack.
- Prick the sponges a few times with a cocktail stick. Brush the lemon syrup over the top to soak in.
- To make the blueberry compote: In a small saucepan, add the blueberries and crush them with a wooden spoon to release the juice.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice. Cook over a medium heat, stirring regularly to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Once the compote starts to thicken, lower the heat and continually stir until it looks almost like jam. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- To make the cream layers: Whip the cream with the zest of one lemon and icing sugar until it forms stiff peaks.
- To build the gateaux: Spread the blueberry compote to the base sponge, then a layer of cream.
- Add the second sponge, top with more cream and garnish with the confit lemon slices and mini Easter eggs.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?