This recipe is completely dairy free, but if you like cheese then these vegetable stacks are lovely topped with a slice of griddled halloumi. The sauce should be dotted with lots of tiny pieces of tomato and pepper, which form the confetti.
For the tomato confetti sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 225g fresh ripe full-flavoured tomatoes skinned and finely chopped
- 150ml vegetarian white wine
- 1 yellow or red pepper roasted, skinned and cut into strips then diamonds
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
For the stacks
- A little olive oil
- 1 large aubergine cut into rings
- 2 beef tomatoes skinned and cut into rings
- 1 lemon finely chopped zest
- 3 sprigs fresh sage chopped
- 3 chives finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- 4 slices halloumi cheese (*omit for vegan)
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- To make the sauce: Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onion gently with the garlic. Add half of the chopped tomatoes and the white wine and cook for five minutes. Blend unfit smooth. Mix in the rest of the chopped tomatoes with the pepper pieces and 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar. Season to taste.
- To make the stacks: Brush the griddle with olive oil and cook the aubergine slices so that they are seared with stripes. Put on one side and keep warm. Grill the beef tomato slices gently.
- Mix the lemon and herbs together and season well. On individual serving plates, layer the aubergine, tomato and herb mix. Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar. Repeat until all the layers are used up and top with a slice of tomato and a sprinkling of the herb mixture. Grill the slices of Halloumi and arrange on top of each stack, garnished with lemon zest and chives. Drizzle tomato confetti sauce around the plate and decorate with chives or chive flowers. Serve warm.