For the batter
- 115g plain flour
- 2 medium free range eggs, beaten
- 450g frozen petit pois
- 2 tsp wasabi powder, mixed with a little water
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1cm piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 2000ml vegetable oil
- A sprinkle wasabi powder
- A sprinkle crushed sea salt
- 3 tbsp chilli dipping oil
- To make the batter: place the flour in a mixing bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and carefully mix together to avoid making lumps.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the frying oil) and mix together – the consistency should be quite thick.
- Pour 10cm (1/2 inch) of vegetable oil into a large frying pan and heat it until a little of the batter dropped into the oil sizzles immediately.
- Place 1 tbsp of batter at a time into the oil. Keep the fritters apart in the pan and fry until they are golden brown on both sides, about 4-5 minutes for each side. Repeat until all the batter has been used.
- Drain the fritters on kitchen paper and sprinkle with Wasabi powder and crushed salt to taste. Keep them warm in a moderate oven until you have cooked them all and are ready to serve with the dipping oil.
As a charity, we can’t continue the work we do without you. Our recipe catalogue offers thousands of tasty, nutritious meals; helping new veggies find their feet and giving inspiration to those stuck in a culinary rut. Commissioning high quality, on-trend recipes is costly, however we’re committed to keeping this service free and available to everyone. Will you donate £3/month to ensure this happens?