For the batter
- 115g plain flour
- 2 medium free range eggs, beaten
- 450g frozen petit pois
- 2 tsp wasabi powder, mixed with a little water
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1cm piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 2000ml vegetable oil
- A sprinkle wasabi powder
- A sprinkle crushed sea salt
- 3 tbsp chilli dipping oil
- To make the batter: place the flour in a mixing bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and carefully mix together to avoid making lumps.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the frying oil) and mix together – the consistency should be quite thick.
- Pour 10cm (1/2 inch) of vegetable oil into a large frying pan and heat it until a little of the batter dropped into the oil sizzles immediately.
- Place 1 tbsp of batter at a time into the oil. Keep the fritters apart in the pan and fry until they are golden brown on both sides, about 4-5 minutes for each side. Repeat until all the batter has been used.
- Drain the fritters on kitchen paper and sprinkle with Wasabi powder and crushed salt to taste. Keep them warm in a moderate oven until you have cooked them all and are ready to serve with the dipping oil.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?