How to make perfect mashed potato!
making the perfect mashed potato
Mashed potato is a comforting staple and perfect with roast dinners, but how do you get the perfect mash. Sam, from the Vegetarian Society Cookery School, shares some of her top tips for making sure your mash is best it can be.
- For creamy mashed potato, choose floury potato varieties like Maris Piper or King Edwards.
- You can boil or steam the potatoes, but I bake mine. Cook them like jacket potatoes then scoop out the inside to make into mash.
- Don’t overcook the potatoes. They should be tender but not falling apart.
- Everything should be hot or warm when added to the potatoes, it will mash much more easily. Gently warm the milk and have the butter at room temperature or slightly melted.
- Add a large knob of dairy or vegan butter, 2 to 3 tbsp dairy milk or unsweetened oat milk and 2 to 3 large pinches of sea salt.
- Don’t over mash as this can make the mash ‘gummy.’
- Finish by gently stirring in another large knob of dairy or vegan butter and a few twists of black pepper. Delicious.