Want to get your products accredited with our trademarks? Find out more

Follow us

What are you looking for?

What are you looking for?

Eating veggie » Nutritional advice » Calcium


Calcium is needed for healthy bones and teeth, and to make your heart work properly.

All about calcium

What foods have calcium?

The following foods are good sources of calcium:

  • KALE

How much calcium do I need?

Women need 700mg of calcium per day.

Men need 700mg of calcium per day.

Calcium hints and tips

  • Eat a wide variety of foods that contain calcium
  • If dairy alternatives are eaten, choose ones with added calcium, such as soya milk, soya yogurt
  • Vitamin D helps the body take in calcium, so it is vital to keep up vitamin D levels

More about calcium

Calcium, the most abundant mineral in the body, is required to develop and maintain skeletal structures. 99% of calcium is deposited in bones and teeth, constantly being withdrawn and re-deposited at controlled rates. The remaining 1% is necessary for cell membranes, enzyme activity and influencing functions such as muscle contraction, blood clotting and nerve transmission.

Vitamin D is essential to the absorption of calcium and is especially important in childhood and adolescence when bone growth and density is increasing. If you follow a vegan diet it is especially important to maintain your vitamin D intake to ensure calcium absorption. Calcium absorption is enhanced by milk and milk products, low sodium (including salt) intake and high potassium intake. However, absorption is inhibited by phytates (cereal foods, tea and coffee), oxalates in spinach, chard and rhubarb and supplemental intakes of minerals such as zinc.

Calcium is present in milk and dairy products (e.g. cheese and yoghurt), leafy green vegetables (but not spinach), bread and foods containing white or brown flour, nuts, sesame seeds, tofu, pulses, fortified soya drinks and, in hard water areas, tap water .


Lettuce Keep You in the Loop

Illustration of vegetable

We are a collective of determined people, connected by our shared belief in a better future for every life on earth. Keep up with our work and sign up to our newsletters...

By submitting your details, you are agreeing for us to send you emails about the Vegetarian Society’s and/or Cookery School's work, as well as how you can get involved and support us through fundraising and campaigning. We will never share your details with anyone else, and you can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. See the full Privacy Policy with information about how we store and use your personal data.

Follow us on social