For the main dish
- 2 small aubergines, thinly sliced lengthways
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 x 400g can flageolet beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp stock powder
- 6-8 pasta sheets
For the cheese sauce
- 40g butter
- 10g plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 150g strong vegetarian cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Brush the aubergine with a little oil, season with salt and pepper, then place onto a hot griddle pan. Cook for 5 minutes on either side, or until sear marks are formed. When all of the slices are cooked set to one side.
- Gently fry the onions in the remaining oil for 5 minutes. Then add the garlic, tomatoes, carrot, beans and herbs. Once it’s hot, sprinkle in the stock powder. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Season as required.
- To make the cheese sauce: first melt the butter on a gentle heat. Then add the flour, stirring constantly. Stir for 1 minute, then add the milk a little at a time. The sauce will thicken as the heat increases. When all the milk has been added continue to stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 100g of the cheese, stir and set to one side.
- To assemble: place half the tomato sauce into a deep oven-proof dish. Top with slices of aubergine, pasta and then cheese sauce.
- Repeat, ending up with a final layer of cheese sauce, making sure the pasta is covered.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes. Add the final 50g grated cheese and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
Nutrition per serving
As a charity, we can’t continue the work we do without you. Our recipe catalogue offers thousands of tasty, nutritious meals; helping new veggies find their feet and giving inspiration to those stuck in a culinary rut. Commissioning high quality, on-trend recipes is costly, however we’re committed to keeping this service free and available to everyone. Will you donate £3/month to ensure this happens?