For the main dish
- 2 small aubergines, thinly sliced lengthways
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 x 400g can flageolet beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp stock powder
- 6-8 pasta sheets
For the cheese sauce
- 40g butter
- 10g plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 150g strong vegetarian cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Brush the aubergine with a little oil, season with salt and pepper, then place onto a hot griddle pan. Cook for 5 minutes on either side, or until sear marks are formed. When all of the slices are cooked set to one side.
- Gently fry the onions in the remaining oil for 5 minutes. Then add the garlic, tomatoes, carrot, beans and herbs. Once it’s hot, sprinkle in the stock powder. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Season as required.
- To make the cheese sauce: first melt the butter on a gentle heat. Then add the flour, stirring constantly. Stir for 1 minute, then add the milk a little at a time. The sauce will thicken as the heat increases. When all the milk has been added continue to stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 100g of the cheese, stir and set to one side.
- To assemble: place half the tomato sauce into a deep oven-proof dish. Top with slices of aubergine, pasta and then cheese sauce.
- Repeat, ending up with a final layer of cheese sauce, making sure the pasta is covered.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes. Add the final 50g grated cheese and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?