for the beetroot
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 500g beetroot
for the tagine
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 50g red lentils
- 300ml vegetable stock using 1 low-sodium vegetable stock cube
- 280g Quorn vegan pieces
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 large ripe pears
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 small lemons, halved
- cooked wholewheat couscous
- Small bunch flat-leaf parsley, stalks and leaves chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Peel the beetroot and cut into 3cm chunks and place on a large baking tray. Drizzle the oil over the beetroot and roast for 35-40 minutes until the beetroot is tender, turning halfway through.
- For the tagine: Prepare the tagine heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion for 5 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the carrot and pepper and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, paprika, ras-el-hanout and cook for a minute. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, lentils and stock, bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the Quorn pieces and simmer gently with a lid on for 12 minutes until the Quorn is piping hot.
- Slice the pears into thin slices and brush lightly on both with oil. Heat a griddle pan, then chargrill the pears, in batches, for 1-2 minutes on each side. Add the lemon halves to the pan and cook for 2 minutes until charred.
- Remove the tagine from the heat and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve: Divide the tagine between 4 warm plates along with the couscous and baked beetroot. Garnish with the griddled pears, charred lemons and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?