- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 fennel finely sliced
- 200g vegetarian feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 sheet ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 5 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1 medium free-range egg beaten
- 80g watercress
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add the fennel and cook on a medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes until beginning to soften. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash together the feta cheese, sun-dried tomato paste, garlic and black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200⁰C/fan 180⁰C/gas mark 6.
- Place the sheet of pastry on a large baking tray lined with non-stick baking parchment or a silicone liner. Carefully spread the cheese mix over the pastry leaving a 2-3cm gap around all of the edges. Top the cheese with the fennel and then both kinds of tomato. Fold the edges over onto the filling and pinch the corners together. Brush the folded edges with beaten egg and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the edges are pale golden-brown.
- While the galette is cooking, wilt the watercress. Heat a large frying pan on a medium-low heat. Add the watercress and heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside.
- Remove the galette from the oven. Carefully crack the four remaining eggs onto the galette, evenly spacing them. Top with the wilted watercress and bake for a further 5-8 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are set and the yolks have begun to set.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley and a few twists of black pepper. Serve immediately