Suitable for Freezing
- 100g brown rice
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp tumeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 200ml reduced sodium vegetable stock
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium beetroot, chopped
- 1 x 210g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large carrot, diced
- ½ lemon, zest only
- 200ml coconut milk
- 10g coriander, chopped
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the rice and cook for 20 minutes (or according to packet instructions) until tender.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large deep-sided frying pan, then add the onion, cooking on medium heat for five minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further five minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the spices and cook for one minute until fragrant.
- Add the stock and tomatoes, bring to the boil, then add the beetroot, chickpeas, carrot and lemon zest.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the curry is simmering, check the rice. Once the rice is tender, drain, set aside and cover to keep warm.
- After 15 minutes, add the coconut milk to the curry and simmer for a further five minutes.
- Divide the rice between two plates and top with the curry. Sprinkle with the coriander and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?