- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 beetroot, grated
- ½ courgette, grated
- 100g vegan mince (thaw first if frozen)
- ½ pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 30g sunflower seeds
- 150g kidney beans, lightly mashed
- 30g breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp hot chilli sauce
- A splash tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fry the onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Place the grated beetroot and courgette onto paper towels and press out as much liquid as you can (this will prevent a soggy burger).
- In a large bowl add the rest of the ingredients, except the oil, and season well. The mixture should be fairly dry and easy to press together into burger shapes. If it’s still a little wet add more flour.
- Place the burgers onto a tray lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for one hour.
- Carefully place the burgers onto the barbecue grill and allow them to cook slowly on a gentle heat. Brush them with a little oil from time to time.
- Turn after 10 minutes and cook on the other side.
As a charity, we can’t continue the work we do without you. Our recipe catalogue offers thousands of tasty, nutritious meals; helping new veggies find their feet and giving inspiration to those stuck in a culinary rut. Commissioning high quality, on-trend recipes is costly, however we’re committed to keeping this service free and available to everyone. Will you donate £3/month to ensure this happens?