Serve your homemade damson ice cream in these lacy brandy snap baskets.
- 50g butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup or molasses
- 50g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp brandy
- Heat oven to 160°C/gas mark 3 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment or buttered baking parchment.
- Heat the butter, sugar and syrup or molasses in a small saucepan until the mixture is warm and melted but not hot.
- Sift together the flour, salt and ginger and stir them into the liquid butter mixture. Stir in the brandy and lemon juice.
- Drop blobs (2 tablespoonsful each) of this batter on to the prepared baking sheet, spacing each brandy snap well apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes until brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow the brandy snaps to cool on the tray for one minute before lifting them one at a time and draping them over well-oiled inverted cups or tumblers.
- As the biscuits dry they become brittle and form basket shapes, suitable for holding ice cream.