If you’re looking for healthy breakfast ideas, then why not give this a try? The egg and broad bean combo is a great source of protein. With its vibrant greens this simple recipe, made with sourdough toast, also provides minerals iron and zinc.
- 100g frozen broad beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ clove garlic crushed
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread
- 100g watercress
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- A few 5g chives chopped
- Set a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Add the beans and cook for 4-6 minutes until tender. Drain and put into a blender with 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic, nutmeg and black pepper. Blend lightly to a coarse texture.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a small, non-stick frying pan, crack in the eggs and fry.
- While the eggs are frying toast or grill the bread and then place on a plate and drizzle with a little oil.
- Place watercress on each plate alongside the toasted sourdough and coat with the lemon juice, a dash of oil and a pinch of salt.
- Spoon the broad beans over the toast and sit a fried egg on top, then sprinkle with chives.