For the pakoras
- 150g Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 100g gram flour
- 30g plain white flour
- 1½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1000ml vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the dipping sauce
- 50g tahini
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Place all of the pakora ingredients, except the oil, in a large bowl and mix well.
- Gradually add water, a little at a time and stir until the vegetables are coated in a thick batter.
- Using your hands, roll the mixture into 12 loosely formed balls and place on a tray, ready for frying.
- Add the oil to a large, wide, sturdy pan (so it is no more than half full) and heat to 180°C.
- Fry the pakoras, a few at a time, until golden. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen towel. Repeat in batches until all of the pakoras are cooked.
- For the dipping sauce, mix all the ingredients together, thinning with water if desired.
- Serve three pakoras per person with the dipping sauce and garnish with chilli and spring onion.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?