For the flavour paste
- 3 tbsp kecap manis
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 flax egg, made by soaking 1 tbsp ground flax/linseeds in 2 tbsp cold water for 10 minutes
For the roast
- 200g butternut squash
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, very finely chopped
- 20g dried mushrooms, soaked for 1 hour in hot water, drained, then finely chopped
- 1 courgette, grated
- 400g can black beans, drained, rinsed and lightly mashed
- 80g pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 10g poppy seeds
- 10g linseeds
- 175g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 180g rolled oats
- 100g soft breadcrumbs
- 1 leek, sliced into thick rounds
- A little oil for brushing
- Preheat your oven to 200⁰C/gas mark 6.
- Line a roasting tin with foil. Peel and chop the butternut squash into ½ inch chunks, toss in the 1 tbsp vegetable oil and roast in the oven in the tray for around 30 minutes until soft.
- Make the flavour paste by thoroughly combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the two kinds of mushrooms, courgette and black beans. Stir in the seeds and nuts before mixing in the roasted butternut squash, oats and breadcrumbs.
- Finally, thoroughly mix in the flavour paste. You may want to switch to mixing with your hands at this point to ensure the paste is well distributed. Set the mixture aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Line a large loaf tin with baking parchment. Transfer the roast mixture in to the lined tin and press down firmly. Bake in the oven for 1 hour 10 mins.
- Remove the roast from the oven and cover the top with the sliced leek. Brush the leeks with a little oil and return to the oven for a final 20 minutes or until the leeks are soft and just beginning to colour.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 15 minutes. Lift the roast from the tin, still in the baking parchment, onto a chopping board. Slice as required. This roast is designed to be soft and moist so take extra care when slicing. It works really well made ahead and chilled - just slice while cold and reheat in a warm oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite roast dinner trimmings and lashings of veggie gravy.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?