Suitable for Freezing
For the stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 50g red lentils
- 250ml passata
- 350g butternut squash
- 1/2 400g can black-eyed beans
- 750ml reduced sodium vegetable stock
- 80g kale, washed and finely shredded
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 slices wholemeal baguette
- Add the oil to a large saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and carrots and cook for about five minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon and ginger and continue to cook for another minute until the spices become fragrant.
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the lentils and passata, cooking for a further 15 minutes and stirring occasionally. (You may need to add a little more passata during cooking.)
- Add the squash, black-eyed peas and stock to pan, then simmer for 30 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Once the squash has been cooking for 20 minutes, steam the kale for about 10 minutes, either over the stew or in a separate pan, until slightly softened but still bright green.
- Stir the kale into the squash and lentil mixture, then season to taste with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls, either alone or with slices of crusty wholemeal baguette.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?