Suitable for Freezing
- 225g chapati flour or a 50 / 50 mix of wholewheat and white
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing
- 175ml water
- Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Rub in 2 tbsp vegetable oil.
- Gradually add the water until you form a soft, but not sticky, dough. Knead for 10 minutes and then place in a bowl, covered with a damp cloth, for 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough and divide it into 6 balls. Roll each ball into 15cm rounds. Keep the dough you are not working covered in the bowl. Gather up the edges of the circle and pinch together.
- Turn the circle over and roll out again to 15cm rounds.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Sprinkle the pan with 1 tsp of vegetable oil and cook the breads for 2-3 minutes.
- Spread the uncooked side with 1 tsp vegetable oil and turn and cook the other side for about 2 minutes. Turn once more and cook until there are brown spots on both sides. Keep the breads warm in foil while you cook the rest.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?