- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 225g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 225g mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 225g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 410g tin of chick peas (or another bean of your choice), drained and rinsed
- 100g frozen peas
- 200g basmati rice (or 50g person), prepared as per the instructions on the packet
- Heat the oil in the large saucepan then gently fry the onion for 2 minutes. (Drop a piece of onion into the oil as it is heating. When the onion starts to sizzle, the oil is ready).
- Add the garlic and curry powder and stir, giving the onions and garlic a good coating of curry powder, and leave to cook for 2 minutes. (If you are unsure of how spicy you might like your curry, use less curry powder to start and gradually add more to taste).
- Stir in the carrots, mushrooms and cauliflower and gently fry for 3 minutes more.
- Add the tomato purée, tinned tomatoes and stock, bring to the boil and stir in the chickpeas.
- Leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes then stir in the peas. (Now is a good time to start preparing your rice!)
- Cook for 10 minutes more, season to taste, and serve over rice.
Nutrition per serving
As a charity, we can’t continue the work we do without you. Our recipe catalogue offers thousands of tasty, nutritious meals; helping new veggies find their feet and giving inspiration to those stuck in a culinary rut. Commissioning high quality, on-trend recipes is costly, however we’re committed to keeping this service free and available to everyone. Will you donate £3/month to ensure this happens?