- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery, finely copped
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, stalks finely chopped, leaves kept whole
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into matchstick size pieces
- ½ small parsnip, peeled and cut into matchstick size pieces
- ⅙ small swede, peeled and cut into matchstick size pieces
- ⅓ small sweet potato, peeled and cut into matchstick size pieces
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped or 150ml tomato juice
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 30g chicken-style Quorn pieces (or firm tofu), cut into small cubes
- 1750ml water
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- 1 tsp thyme or mixed herbs, dried
- Plenty of freshly ground black pepper
- 25g spaghetti, dried
- Salt to taste
- Put the onion, celery, parsley stalks, carrot, parsnip, swede, sweet potato, tomatoes or juice, garlic, tofu or Quorn into a large saucepan and cover with 1.75 litres (3 pints) of cold water.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme or mixed herbs and season generously with black pepper.
- Bring the pan to the boil and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Break the spaghetti into 5cm lengths and add to the soup, cook until tender.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Garnish with parsley leaves and serve.
As a charity, we can’t continue the work we do without you. Our recipe catalogue offers thousands of tasty, nutritious meals; helping new veggies find their feet and giving inspiration to those stuck in a culinary rut. Commissioning high quality, on-trend recipes is costly, however we’re committed to keeping this service free and available to everyone. Will you donate £3/month to ensure this happens?