Long noodles, the symbol of good luck and longevity are always a firm favourite on Chinese New Year. This dish is packed with lots of tasty vegetables and plant protein to ensure it’s not just a happy and lucky, but also a very healthy year ahead!
You can use ready pressed tofu to skip step 1, as this will already have a suitably firm texture. This will reduce preparation time by 20 minutes.
For the tofu
- 400g firm tofu
- 3-4 tbsp cornflour
- Black pepper
- Vegetable oil
For the vegetables
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 400g mixed vegetables (e.g. Tenderstem broccoli, peppers, mangetout, bok choy, beansprouts)
- 150g spiralised carrots
- 3 spring onions
- ½ – 1 red chilli
- 400g cooked ramen noodles ready to use
for the stir-fry sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine (or mirin)
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- Chilli flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Spring onions finely sliced
- Coriander chopped
- Wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel. Place a chopping board on top and weigh it down with some cans or heavy cookbooks. This removes water and makes the tofu extra crispy. Let it sit for 30 minutes while you chop the vegetables and mix the sauce.
- Cut the vegetables of your choice into bite-sized pieces. For the sauce blend all ingredients together and set aside.
- Cut the tofu into cubes or rectangles. Place the pieces in a bowl and sift over cornflour and a generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Shake the pieces so they get an even coating. Shallow fry them in vegetable oil, turning once, until they are golden brown. Place on kitchen paper while you make the stir-fry.
- Heat a tablespoon of sesame oil in a wok and fry the vegetables. Start with vegetables like broccoli, carrots and peppers. After 3-4 minutes add spring onions, chilli, mangetout, beansprouts and Bok Choy. Continue to cook for 3 minutes, then add the noodles and sauce. Keep stirring until the noodles are hot and evenly coated. Season to taste with extra soya sauce if required. Finally add the crispy tofu pieces and cook until they are heated through.
- To serve, sprinkle with chilli flakes, sesame seeds, spring onion greens and chopped coriander.