- 1000g baking potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 200g trimmed leeks, finely shredded
- 75g curly kale, finely shredded
- 50g butter
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 medium free-range eggs, yolks only
- 2 tbsp crème fraiche
- 100g vegetarian Applewood smoked Cheddar, thinly sliced
- Bring the potatoes to boil in a medium sized saucepan and then simmer slowly for 30 minutes until cooked. Drain and dry slightly in the pan before mashing or putting through a potato ricer.
- Saute the leek and kale in half the butter until soft. Add the spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Mix together the potato, vegetables, mustard, egg yolk and crème fraiche in a large bowl, and then form into 4 large cakes (or 8 small ones).
- Heat the remaining butter in a large non-stick frying pan and gently cook the potato cakes on both sides until dark golden and crispy.
- Top the cakes with the cheese and place under a hot grill until melting. Serve with a shredded white cabbage and carrot salad (or as a side dish with veggie sausages).
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?