Cooking time is 10 mins for the filling mins and 1 hour to bake.
You will also need:
A loose-bottomed pie case 24cm across and 5cm deep
A little extra flour.
For the filling
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1000g potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ tsp mixed herbs
- 300ml natural yogurt/vegan yogurt
- 120g grated cheese/vegan cheese (we used vegetarian mozzarella)
- 200g cooked Puy lentils
- Salt and pepper
For the pastry
- 110g vegetarian/vegan white hard fat
- 280ml water
- 500g plain flour
- A little milk/soya milk/beaten egg for a glaze
- 1 tsp salt and a twist of black pepper
- For the filling: In a large frying pan, gently heat 1 tbsp olive oil and fry half the potatoes with half the onion until they start to take on a little colour.
- Add half the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes, season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle on half of the herbs. Tip the potato mixture into a large bowl and set to one side.
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes, onions, garlic and herbs. If your frying pan is not that large, you may need to do this in several batches. The potatoes don’t need to be fully cooked.
- In a separate bowl lightly mix together the yogurt, cheese and lentils. Set to one side.
- For the pastry: Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Place the fat, water and salt into a sauce pan and heat gently, until melted.
- Put the flour into large bowl and stir in the melted fat mixture a little at a time. Mix the flour and fat mixture until combined, then knead well until smooth.
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a lightly floured surface and carefully line the base and sides of your pie case.
- Place a layer of potatoes onto the pastry base then add a little of the yogurt, cheese and lentil mix. Repeat until all of the potatoes, yogurt, cheese and lentils have been used.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid. Pinch the edges of the pastry together to make sure the pastry is sealed. Brush with a little glaze.
- Place the pie onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 1 hour. The top should be golden and crisp to the touch when cooked.
- Leave to cool slightly before slicing.