Yorkshire puddings don’t have to be a side dish. In this recipe, layers of beetroot, potato and Dovedale cheese are baked in a giant Yorkshire pudding. This will give you an fantastic alternative for British Yorkshire Pudding Day that will impress your dinner guests.
For the Yorkshire pudding
- 38g plain white flour
- 1 medium free range egg
- 38g milk
- 28g water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Seasoning to taste
For the filling
- 350g whole fresh beetroot with tops and tails intact
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g potatoes peeled and cut into 2mm slices
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley very finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 200g vegetarian Dovedale blue cheese crumbled well
- 30g vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese grated
- Cracked rock salt to taste
- To make the yorkshire pudding: Preheat oven to 220°C/gas mark 7.
- Sift the flour and seasoning into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Break the egg into the well and beat, gradually incorporating the flour.
- Gradually beat in the milk and water, ensuring all the flour is incorporated.
- Pour the vegetable oil into an18cm round oven tin/dish and place in oven. Heat until oil is sizzling hot.
- Remove tin/dish from oven and pour in Yorkshire batter. Return tin to the oven. The pudding will take 25-30 minutes to rise and become crisp and golden.
- Remove Yorkshire pudding from oven and allow to cool before proceeding.
- To make the pie: Pre-heat oven to Gas 4/350F/180C. Wash the beetroot well. Leaving the tops and bottoms and skin on (to prevent the colour bleeding out), place the beetroot in a roasting dish with 1 tbs of the olive oil.
- Roast the beetroot for 50 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool. Peel, top and tail then grate the beetroot and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, steam the potatoes for 15 minutes or until soft. Cool and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until soft. Then add the parsley and basil and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Take the cooled Yorkshire pudding and layer in the ingredients in this order: 1/2 of the Dovedale cheese, ½ of the potatoes (seasoned) ½ the grated beetroot and finally ½ of the onion mixture.
- Repeat step 11 and finish with the remaining half of the Dovedale on top. Sprinkle with the vegetarian parmesan style cheese.
- Immediately put into the roasting tin and place on the middle layer of the oven. Cook for 20 minutes or until the Yorkshire crust is crisp and the cheese topping is brown.