- 70g cashew nuts
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- 4 blood oranges
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 ready-to-eat prunes
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp date syrup
- 200g frozen summer fruits, thawed and drained
- To make the cashew cream, finely chop 20g of the cashews with the mixed spice in a food processor and set aside. Juice one of the oranges and pulse half the juice with the remaining nuts and 1 tsp of the vanilla extract until smooth. If it’s too thick, add a little extra juice. Set the cashew cream aside.
- For the chocolate sauce, blend 3 prunes, the cacao powder, the remaining vanilla extract, the juice of one orange and 2 tbsp of the date syrup in the food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Pick 12 whole fruits from the summer fruits and set aside. Split the rest of the summer fruits into two portions. Blend one portion of the fruit in the food processor with the remaining prunes and 1 tbsp date syrup. Set aside.
- To make the compote, simply push the other portion of the summer fruits through a sieve and retain the juice, discarding the pulp in the sieve.
- Peel and segment the remaining two oranges with a sharp knife.
- Assemble the trifles by dividing the whole summer fruits between four serving glasses. Gently layer the cashew cream, chocolate sauce, orange segments and fruit purée on top, until the glasses are full. Finish with chopped nuts and a drizzle of compote.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?