Suitable for Freezing
For the creole seasoning
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
For the gumbo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 packet basil tofu or vegan sausage
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves smoked garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp chipotle en adobo
- 200ml vegan red wine
- 250g okra, chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 chard, shredded
- 100g frozen spinach
- 1 x 400g can white beans, drained
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halves
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- If using vegan sausages rather than basil tofu, cook according to product instructions then slice and set aside for later.
- Make the Creole seasoning by mixing together all the spice ingredients.
- In a frying pan, shallow fry the tofu cubes in half the oil until crisp, turning to cook each side. Set aside for later.
- Start the gumbo by frying the onion, celery and green pepper in the remaining oil for 5 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add the smoked garlic, chipotle en adobo sauce and homemade Creole seasoning and fry briefly for 1 minute, stirring frequently to avoid sticking.
- Add the red wine and cook for 5 minutes to reduce slightly.
- While the wine is reducing, wash the okra thoroughly under cold running water then pat them completely dry with kitchen roll. This step is important to help prevent the okra becoming slimy when cooking. If using frozen okra skip to next step.
- Now add the vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes, okra, chard, spinach, beans and pre-fried tofu to the saucepan. Bring the casserole to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Finally, add the sliced sausage and stir in the cherry tomatoes. Serve garnished with the parsley.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?