Suitable for Freezing
For the Gnocchi
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large potatoes, left unpeeled
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 300g '00' flour
- Pinch of rock salt, freshly ground
For the pesto
- 50g fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 125ml extra virgin olive oil
- 45g pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 90g Italian-style hard cheese, grated
- A few pieces of rocket, optional
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Coat the potatoes in a little olive oil and bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool. Alternatively, you can put the potatoes into a large pan of boiling water and simmer for 25 minutes until soft.
- Scoop the potato flesh out in a bowl and add the egg and salt. Mash together.
- Add 200g flour and mix together to make a light dough.
- Place the remaining flour on your work surface and knead the dough bringing the flour in. This should only take a moment.
- Divide the dough into four balls and gently roll out to form a sausage shape. Cut into 3cm pieces and place on lightly floured tray making sure the individual pieces don’t stick together. Gnocchi can be refrigerated at this stage for 2 days or frozen.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. While you are waiting for the water to boil, make the pesto by simply processing all the ingredients in a food processor. Set aside.
- Drop the gnocchi into the water. When it rises to the surface it is ready. This should take no more than 2 minutes. You may need to cook the gnocchi in batches.
- The gnocchi is ready at this point. If you want it crispy, you can fry it in a little olive oil for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve while still hot, coated in your freshly made pesto and topped with a few pieces of rocket for decoration.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?