- 400g butternut squash, cut into into 1cm cubes
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g cherry tomatoes
- 350g orzo
- 400g can finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 low-sodium stock cube
- 400g can cannellini beans
- 125g mozzarella
- 30g vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese, grated
- 150g baby spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place the diced squash on a baking tray, sprinkle over the paprika and toss with 1 tbsp oil. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until soft and charred.
- Meanwhile halve the cherry tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a deep ovenproof pan and gently fry the orzo for 2-3 minutes until beginning to turn golden. Watch carefully to ensure the orzo does not burn.
- Add the cherry and canned tomatoes along with 300ml water and a crumbled stock cube. Gently bring to the boil and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until the orzo has softened. Stir every few minutes and add a splash of water if the orzo begins to stick.
- Rinse and drain the cannellini beans and stir into the orzo 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Tear the mozzarella into pieces.
- When the squash is ready stir it into the orzo along with the mozzarella and half of the grated vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat the grill to a moderate heat. Meanwhile add the spinach to the pan in handfuls and stir gently until wilted.
- Sprinkle the remaining Italian-style hard cheese over the orzo and pop the pan under the grill for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted and is golden.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?