For the gnocchi
- 200g baby spinach
- 150g ricotta cheese
- 50g plain white flour
- 60g vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese, grated
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese, grated
For the tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small piece fennel or celery, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 450g fresh tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 150ml white wine
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly groudn black pepper
- For the tomato sauce: Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, fennel or celery, if using, and the garlic and cook gently until tender.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and white wine and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until starting to reduce and thicken.
- Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, parsley and seasoning to taste. Keep warm.
- For the gnocchi: Wash the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes in a covered pan in just the water left clinging to the leaves.
- Turn into a sieve and press down well to remove as much liquid as possible. Chop the drained spinach.
- Beat the spinach into the ricotta cheese, together with the flour, 60g Pecorino or Parmesan and enough egg yolk to bind.
- Season well with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Use floured hands to help you shape the mixture, about 1 teaspoon at a time, into little balls.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and drop batches of the gnocchi into simmering water. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until they float on the surface.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a greased ovenproof dish.
As a charity, we can’t continue the work we do without you. Our recipe catalogue offers thousands of tasty, nutritious meals; helping new veggies find their feet and giving inspiration to those stuck in a culinary rut. Commissioning high quality, on-trend recipes is costly, however we’re committed to keeping this service free and available to everyone. Will you donate £3/month to ensure this happens?