Ingredients for the sponge
- 100g butter
- 70g brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 100g ground almonds
- 40g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch nutmeg and cinnamon
For the fruit layer
- 450g fruit - cherries, apricots, raspberries, blueberries or your choice
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 200ml flavoured brandy or liqueur to match the fruit (e.g. crème de cassis for raspberries)
For the brandy sauce
- Method for the sponges: Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- To make the sponge base, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Now add the eggs, almonds, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and mix in thoroughly. Set aside.
- Make the fruit layer next. Add the fruit, sugar and brandy or liqueur to a small saucepan and simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed. This should take around 15 minutes.
- Grease four ramekins and line with baking parchment. Place the fruit mixture into each of the ramekins then add the sponge mixture. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the sponge has risen and is crisp.
- When done, let the puddings cool slightly before turning them out onto a plate each. You may need to go around the puddings with a sharp knife if they have stuck to the sides, carefully remove baking parchment.
- Method for the brandy sauce: 1. Gently melt the butter (or margarine) then add the flour, stirring with a whisk. Allow to cook for two minutes, keep stirring.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring all the time. As the milk is added the sauce will start to thicken.
- Add the sugar and allow the sauce to cook for 5 minutes on a low heat, stirring from time to time.
- Add the cream and brandy plus either vanilla or almond extract. Bring slowly back to a higher temperature stirring all the time then serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?