- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 100g red lentils, rinsed
- 600ml low sodium vegetable stock
- 400ml passata
- 1 x 210g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 wholemeal roti
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot, potato, cumin, lentils, stock and passata to the pan. Bring to the boil then turn heat down to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chickpeas, and more water if needed, and cook for a further 20 minutes, continuing to stir from time to time.
- Ladle the dal into bowls and top with a squeeze of lemon juice and a little black pepper.
- Serve with wholemeal roti.
Nutrition per serving
As a charity, we can’t continue the work we do without you. Our recipe catalogue offers thousands of tasty, nutritious meals; helping new veggies find their feet and giving inspiration to those stuck in a culinary rut. Commissioning high quality, on-trend recipes is costly, however we’re committed to keeping this service free and available to everyone. Will you donate £3/month to ensure this happens?