This casserole is like a heartier version of a minestrone soup and makes a complete main course in itself.
For the casserole
- 200g tofu cut into small pieces
- 1 aubergine cut into 1cm dice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 small green chilli finely chopped
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 350ml white wine
- 350ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 50g uncooked soup pasta e.g. margheritine or conchigliette
- 100g carrot cut into 1cm dice
- 100g cauliflower broken into small florets
- 100g courgettes cut into 1cm dice
- 50g broad beans
- 50g pitted black olives quartered
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped mixed herbs
- In a non-stick pan, fry the tofu and aubergine gently in the oil, until evenly browned.
- Remove the tofu and aubergine from pan and set aside.
- Add onion to the same pan and cook gently until softened. Add garlic and chilli and cook for a further minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the seasonings, and the cooked tofu and aubergine. Simmer gently until pasta and vegetables are just cooked. This should take about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the tofu and aubergine back to the pan and heat through.
- Season to taste. Sprinkle over the chopped mixed herbs and serve.