As featured on The Hairy Bikers TV show!
For the base
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 shallots finely sliced
- 2 cloves smoked garlic crushed
- 250g button mushrooms finely sliced
- 250g oyster mushrooms finely sliced
- ½ tsp smoked hot paprika
- 250g smoked tofu
- A splash soya sauce
- 5g seaweed salad mix
For the sauce
- 30g butter
- 1 tsp flour
- 350ml milk
- 100ml single cream
- 50g peas
- 25g parsley
- 1 tsp stock powder
For the topping
- 750g potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 50ml milk
- 30g butter
- A little cheese grated
- A pinch salt and pepper
- Slice the tofu in to strips and cut diagonally along each edge. Place the tofu into a non-stick pan with a little olive oil. After 10 minutes carefully turn over and add a dusting of paprika and a splash soya sauce. Continue to cook for and other 5 minutes. When cooked set to one side.
- Gently fry the shallots for 5 minutes. Once cooked remove half and set to one side. Add the garlic, hot smoked paprika, mushrooms and seaweed to the pan and cook on a low light. After 10 minutes transfer to an oven proof dish and add the tofu.
- For the Sauce: In a separate pan melt the butter then add the flour and allow to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the milk gradually stirring with a whisk. The sauce will thicken as it is brought to the boil.
- Add the cream and parsley (reserve a little parsley for garnish), peas, cooked shallots and 1tsp stock powder. Adjust the seasoning if required then spoon the sauce over the tofu and mushroom base.
- For the Topping: Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes until tender. Drain and mash with the milk, butter and cheese if using. Season with salt and pepper. The potato should have a light and creamy texture.
- Pipe the potatoes over the base. Bake in a pre heated oven at 180°C for 20 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Before serving garnish the pie with a little chopped parsley. Serve with steamed fresh spinach.