For the tart
- 175g puff pastry
- 3 shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 25g butter or margarine
- 100g oyster mushrooms
- 50g button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 100g sunblush tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sprigs of basil
- rocket and baby spinach or a mixed herb salad
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry and use to line two 10cm/4 inch loose bottomed flan rings. Place on a baking sheet and bake blind for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- Sauté the shallots and one clove of garlic in butter or vegan margarine until golden (about 10 minutes on a low heat). Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Add the brandy and cook for a further 2 minutes. Slice four pieces of sun-blush tomato and stir into the mushrooms. Season to taste.
- To make the purée: Sauté half the remaining tomatoes and the clove of garlic in olive oil until very soft, then add 30 ml/2 tablespoons of water and continue cooking gently for a further 5-10 minutes. Season to taste and then purée. Chop the rest of the tomatoes finely and stir into the puree.
- Divide the shallot and mushroom filling between the two tart bases, place on a baking sheet and warm through in the oven for 5 minutes. Place each one on a warm plate. Gently heat the purée through in a saucepan and drizzle some around the tarts. Garnish with sprigs of basil. Serve with a spicy or herby salad. Extra purée can be served in a jug on the side.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?