For the dough
- 450g strong plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sachets fast-acting yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus a bit extra for oiling the baking sheet
- 300ml warm water
FOr The tomato sauce
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- A good pinch mixed herbs
- Peppers (red, green or yellow), diced
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Tinned corn, drained
- Spinach and⁄or basil, coarsely chopped
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Black olives, sliced
- Vegetarian feta cheese, crumbled
- Vegetarian or vegan sausage, cooked and sliced
- 225g vegetarian or vegan cheese (preferably mozzarella for pizza), grated
- To make the the dough: Sift the flour and salt into one of the large mixing bowls, and make a hole in the centre.
- Pour the yeast, oil and warm water into the centre of the hole.
- Gradually mix in the flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead well until it is smooth, pliable and elastic. This will only take a few minutes. (Remember to remove any rings before kneading the dough).
- Place the ball of dough into the other large bowl, cover with a cloth and leave in a warm place for 1 hour, until well-risen and doubled in size. (This is a good time to make your tomato base and prepare any toppings).
- To make the tomato sauce: Heat the oil in the frying pan over medium heat, and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tinned tomatoes, vinegar, and herbs and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Purée the sauce in a blender or with a hand blender. Set to one side.
- Putting it all together takes three stages:
- Stage 1: After the dough has had an hour to rise, preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7.
- Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured surface, punch it down and divide into four pieces.
- Stage 2: Knead each piece lightly and roll out until it is about 30cm in diameter.
- Oil the metal baking sheet and place one of the rounds of dough on it.
- Top the dough with the tomato sauce and any other toppings of your choice.
- Stage 3: Bake in the preheated oven until the base of the pizza is crisp and golden brown, around 10 minutes.
- Remove to a large chopping board and cut into slices using a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Repeat with the other rounds of dough.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?