- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeds removed and discarded, cut into strips
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of saffron or turmeric
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 4 free-range eggs
- 2 medium slices wholemeal or granary sliced bread, toasted
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick, deep-sided frying pan. Add the fennel seeds and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add in the pepper, smoked paprika, saffron or turmeric, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 25 minutes until the peppers are soft, adding more water as necessary to keep the mixture moist.
- Make four small wells in the tomato and pepper sauce, drop in the eggs, cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes until the whites of the egg are cooked.
- Spoon two spicy tomato baked eggs onto each plate and serve with toasted bread.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?