This is a potato and cabbage based soup that uses oatmeal for thickening. It can be served with warm soda bread for a complete Irish experience.
This is a potato based soup that uses oatmeal for thickening. It can be served with warm soda bread for a complete Irish experience.
- 50g margarine
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 225g potatoes peeled and finely diced
- 225g carrots peeled and finely diced
- 225g green cabbage chopped
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 1000ml vegetable stock
- 100g oatmeal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Melt the margarine in a large saucepan. Add the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots then fry gently for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the cabbage and ground clove. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the vegetable stock and oatmeal, bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 mins.
- Allow to cool, then puree in a blender or food processor until the soup is smooth. If you prefer a slightly chunky soup, just puree half the mixture.
- Return the soup to a clean pan and heat through gently. Season to taste.
- Serve in individual soup bowls sprinkled with the parsley, if liked.