- 50g margarine
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 225g potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 225g carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 225g mushrooms, sliced
- 225g green cabbage, chopped
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 1000ml vegetable stock
- 100g oatmeal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A swirl soya cream, to garnish
- Melt the margarine in a large saucepan. Add the onions, potatoes and carrots and fry gently for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, cabbage and ground cloves and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the vegetable stock and oatmeal, bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 mins.
- Allow to cool, then puree in a blender or food processor until the soup is smooth. (If you prefer a slightly chunky soup, just puree half the mixture.)
- Return the soup to a clean pan and heat through gently. Season to taste. Serve in individual soup bowls with a swirl of soya cream on top if liked.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?