- 175g butter, at room temperature
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g white self-raising flour
- 3 free-range eggs, beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 450g strawberries
- 600ml whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5.
- Put the butter, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla essence and hot water into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two prepared tins and bake for about 20 minutes, until the sponge is golden and springs back to the touch.
- Leave for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Whip the cream until stiff.
- Spread one of the sponges with cream and strawberries then place the second sponge on top. Top with cream and strawberries.
- Chill until required.